Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Keeping my "Sanity"

Along with all the mid-term election stuff going on, a lot of buzz was brewing over Jon Stewart's "Restoring Sanity" rally.  I wasn't wildly enthused about attending the rally, for I felt it was gonna be a jab at Glen Beck's rally along with my opinion with Jon Stewart listeners, but I decided to go.  Hell, I had nothing better to do, and thought it'd be good for me to see what it's all about for myself and form my own opinion instead of listening to talking heads bloviate over it.

Unfortunately, the spot I ended up at was right next to the first aid tent, where every couple of minutes I had to clear a path for hurt/sick people, which most were probably faking getting hurt just so they could get a better spot closer to the front.  I mean, how do people sprain their ankle, pass out, getting bloody lips, etc. at a rally?  It's just a bunch of people standing around listening to a bunch of jokes.  I'm literally trying to find an example of a ridiculous scenario where somebody could get hurt, but I honestly can't find one.  Sorry, I had to throw that in.

For the actual Rally, besides the dull start and poor sound setup on the mall, (It was hard to hear at times), it turned out to be mostly a comedy show poking fun of both sides along with a 20 minute serious speech from Stewart at the end with the basic message of "Let's all just be friends and talk our differences out."  So it was an enjoyable event, and not considered a waste of time.  I thought some of the jokes were good, and I was thrilled to see my old hero Mick Foley, better known as Mankind, aka Cactus Jack, aka Dude Love.  I do have to say though, and for the most part, I agreed with what was said.

One disagreement I have with this philosophy however, is dealing with unreasonable circumstances.  If something ridiculous is happening, let's say some punk degrades your mother, you shouldn't go "Hey, lets talk this out."  No, sometimes, people need their asses kicked, or to at least speak out in a enthusiastic matter.  Take the Tea Party for example.  Much of their grief deals with our out of control spending, a major grab of power in the government, and corruption of our politicians, so they voice their opinion's loudly, for many of these politicians in Washington are not acting reasonable.  Yet they're branded as crazy, racists, stupid, etc., even though many of the people I've heard bitch about how corrupt Washington is are the same people criticizing the Tea Party, who is taking a stand against the corruption.  So my point is, there is times where it is ok to be "Unreasonable," where you would otherwise be "Ignoring Insanity."

Also, I felt although it was branded as a non-political rally, and the presentation was not biased, it was used by liberal groups as a Democratic rally and as a "Take that Glen Beck," although Beck's rally had more projected attendee's, but that's neither here nor there.  There were left leaning groups walking around with sign-up sheets, handing out goodies, etc., along with Democrat recruiting, which I feel Jon Stewart had to be aware of, being he is a smart guy.  Was it set up that way, I could never prove, but I have a feeling they didn't mind a little of that stuff going on.

Most of the people there were college kids, many of whom showed up to act silly, holding up goofy signs aimed to show off their satirical wit, the "Oh man, look at me, I'm super smart cause I made ironic sign," people.  You see em' every once in a while at those types of things.  And of course you had the crowd who thought they were part of most important event in the history of the Earth, the "Oh man, Jon Stewart's really making a difference in the world, I work for a non-profit health firm, I care about animals and the world, you should hook up with me cause I'm big ol' activist douche bag..."  You know the people I'm talking about.  Sorry, those people just annoy the hell out of me, only taking part in latest hip movement to get attention and to make themselves look awesome.  I can go on about foolish college kids who act like they're the hottest thing since sliced bread cause they took psychology 201 (and yes, I'm probably gonna have most of my friends pissed at me cause I said that, but I'm sorry I have to say something), but maybe I'll save that for another blog.

I could take comfort however in the fact that there were a decent group of people, many who were around me who seemed like they showed up to have a good time, keep it mellow, and see a funny show.  To those chill people sitting next to me, I commend you!

I guess in the end, I'm glad I went, and although the crowd was obviously more directed towards the left, it was a fun little event.  However, I just didn't feel that inspired at the end of the rally, like I was a part of something special that made me want to go out and be a better person afterwords.  Although I could say even with my tyraid in the earlier paragraphs, it is a nice reminder to try to be civil with people when having political discussions, a message that many people need to get across, and it does makes people understand your point of view a little better.  After digesting his Stewart's words though, I kinda thought to myself, "well, duh, I already knew that, it shouldn't be something we have to say."

So the rally to restore sanity and/or fear was a fun event with comedy and a decent message, but I don't see it as something that will be remembered in the history books, as I'm sure many people were hoping it would.

5 comments:

  1. "Take the Tea Party for example. Much of their grief deals with our out of control spending, a major grab of power in the government, and corruption of our politicians, so they voice their opinion's loudly, for many of these politicians in Washington are not acting reasonable."

    ""Oh man, Jon Stewart's really making a difference in the world, I work for a non-profit health firm, I care about animals and the world, you should hook up with me cause I'm big ol' activist douche bag..." You know the people I'm talking about. Sorry, those people just annoy the hell out of me"

    ---------------------------

    You're contradicting yourself in these two ideas. You can't commend the tea party for being boisterous and then bash on "big ol' activist douche bags" because they also happen to be loud about something they care about.

    Yes, I think the Tea Party is full of idiots, but I also think that any activist group is generally full of idiots. This isn't because they choose to be loud. This is because many activists (or members of extremist groups) fail to be apathetic. No matter what side of the political, moral, religious, or philosophical fence you sit on, truth is never sitting with you. Seeds of truth are planted in the grass on all sides of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, attendance numbers weren't even close, glen beck 87000, Jon Stewart’s over 150,000; do a little research, look for numbers posted by the National Park Services (unbias) sorry dude

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - I was commenting on people, this one person in particular using his activism stuff to pick up girls, thus the part where I said "you should hook up with me cause I'm a big ol' activist douche bag..." That's why I was calling him a D bag, not because he was an activist. I apologize for any confusion, and let me know if you need further clarification.

    And as for thinking the Tea Party is full of idiots, I think if people stepped back for a second and actually looked for what they stand for, people would actually agree with many of the issues they are standing up for.

    Alex - ummm, The National Park Service did not post 87000, CBS news did. Nation Park Service posted 300,000 - 325,000. Taking that number, (which some say it was higher, but we'll say 300k for unbias sake) and the highest number I've seen posted for Stewart's rally, 250k, Beck had a higher turnout.

    Now, if you would've made the point that those are just estimates and it's hard to get a good idea of who's rally was bigger, I could've accepted that and taken my statement back. BUT you didn't. Sorry dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

    According to Metro, there were 825,437 on Stewart/Colbert day and 510,020 on Beck day. Average Saturday ridership is about 350,000 (both events were on Saturday).

    If you exclude the average daily riders, and assume two trips per person (one there, one back), that yields 80,010 for Beck and 237,718 for Stewart/Colbert.

    This method corresponds to APL’s analysis of 87,000 for Beck and 215,000 for Stewart/Colbert. Thus, at a minimum, it seems fair to conclude from the data that Stewart/Colbert drew three times as many as Beck.

    Kind regards

    http://i.imgur.com/AoxXh.jpg this picture is kinda hard to dispute

    http://www.wmata.com/rail/disruption_reports/viewPage_update.cfm?ReportID=1919

    http://wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=4717

    http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/metro-says-stewart-beat-beck-at-the-faregates-20101031

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021284-503544.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're pretty much assuming that everybody came to each rally through the metro, and it doesn't take into account that another major event, the Marine Corps Marathon was going on that same weekend. And being there and seeing the crowd myself, the crowd start to become scarce at about the half way mark of what your picture shows. Here are the comparisons of the estimates for the Beck Rally, and since you quoted in your previous post that the NPR was unbiased, I went with that number.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20100831/tr_ac/6698988_how_many_attended_glenn_becks_rally_estimates_vary_widely

    But even based on your comments and on the left leaning news stories I've read obsessing over the numbers, it's starting sound more like a "Glenn Beck sucks and we're better than you" Rally than The Rally to Restore "Sanity," which in the end, starts to lose its credibility of an inspiring event (which I wasn't really that inspired at the end of it, but I'm sure people may have had different views). Did Jon Stewart plan for it to be that way? He hasn't said anything to believe he did, but he's not speaking against it either. And judging by the fact that he was mocking Beck, there's nothing that tells me that he has a problem with it. I'll let you make the call.

    ReplyDelete